What is personal information?
For the purposes of the privacy legislation, Bill C6, “personal information” is defined as any information that can be used to distinguish, identify or contact a specific individual. This information can include an individual’s opinions or beliefs (e.g. religion or political affiliation), as well as facts about, or related to, the individual. There are exceptions: business contact information and certain publicly available information, such as names, addresses and telephone numbers (as published in telephone directories) are not considered personal information. Where an individual uses his or her home contact information as business contact information, the contact information provided is regarded as business contact information and is not subject to protection as personal information.
Protecting Your Personal Information
Certain processes exist where we may collect personal information. Funnel Communications collects no personal information about you unless you choose to provide that information to us. Any personally identifiable data is stored securely and used only for the purpose for which it is provided to us. The information you provide to Funnel Communications allows us to provide services to you. By providing us information you are giving Funnel Communications permission to contact you by way of the information you provide.
Funnel Communications Website
The operating system for the Funnel Communications Website (www.funnel.ca) may automatically record some general information about your visit, such as:
- The Internet domain for your Internet service provider, such as “company.com” or “service.ca” and the IP address of the computer accessing the website, such as “ppp-55”;
- The type of browser (such as “Netscape version x” or “Internet Explorer version x”) you are using;
- The type of operating system you are using (such as Macintosh, Unix, or Windows);
- The date and time you visit our site and the web pages that you visit on our site, along with the address of the previous website you were visiting, if you linked to us from another website.
- If you are logged into this site, your user name will be recorded along with the date and time of your visit, which pages you viewed, etc. Funnel Communications uses this information for statistical analysis, to help us make our site more useful to visitors. We may disclose this information in aggregate only to third parties such as sponsors, clients or advertisers and/or use it for auditing purposes.
- The Funnel Communications website may use “cookies” that identify you as a return visitor. A cookie is a piece of data that a website can send to your browser, which may then store the cookie on your hard drive. So, when you come back to visit Funnel Communications website again, information can be tailored to suit your individual preferences. The goal is to save you time and provide you with a more meaningful visit and to measure website activity. Browsers such as Netscape allow you to disable cookie collection if you wish, or inform you when a cookie is being stored on your hard drive.
President, Funnel Communications Inc.